Meeting Remarkable Men: Prince Tomohito

I actually met the man that has been in the news recently, who was a reluctant member of the imperial household. It was way back when I was a lot younger. I think it was some kind of ado having something to do with Sweden House, and he and his wife attended, for some reason or other. I now completely understand how dull it must have been for him. So, there I was, in my early 20s, dressed in my 501 jeans and my only suit jacket, listening to speeches by all kinds of people.

Then I noticed that over in another room, there was silence, and a lot of body guards. I ventured there, and found Prince Tomohito, a cousin of Emperor Akihito. He seemed bored and of course I went over and said hi!

We had a long talk. He told me about his time in England, and lots of stories, from when he was about my age, at that time. He also frankly mentioned how he wanted no part of the imperial business, but they would not let him leave. All the time, his wife was there, and he was very fond of her, telling me, a young man from Sweden, how much she meant to him. I have a photo or two from that event, I should try to find it.

I like how the people in ancient Heian costumes show up for his funeral today. But there was little anyone could do to help him deal with his demons, while he was alive and with us. Is that not a lesson for us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa