North Korea appears to have begun a program to breed rabbits for food, using animals from Germany, as a step to alleviate its acute food shortage, according to NHK. A German farmer says officials from the North Korean embassy in Berlin visited his rabbit farm in December to buy some male and female rabbits. The farmer also told NHK he arranged to ship the rabbits to North Korea by air. During World War II my grandfather kept rabbits in Lund, Sweden as a source of meat for his family. I remember my father saying he liked the cute rabbits, and felt sorry when granpa had to kill them. Not sure how NHK got this story, or what it is supposed to mean, except that North Koreans in crisis are trying to be creative about their food supply. However, a huge problem with rabbits is that they multiply a lot and if the get out in the wild, they will wreck havoc with the local ecosystem - in Australia rabbits are seen as environmental vandals . Marauding rabbits? No thanks. Meanwhile, South Korea...
Comments
and Turner's 'The Fighting Temeraire'
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/joseph-mallord-william-turner-the-fighting-temeraire
plus a couple of local history ones too. I used to send woodblock 'prints' to people here in London/the UK when living in Japan - even when getting them from the Oriental Bazaar (how bizarre!) on Ometesando they were usually nice and cheap but of course the recipients here would think otherwise - ;o)
That autumn full moon has been a great inspiration here - after this long hot summer I think I understand why.
P, your recent image of the full moon is terrific, I hope many Kurashi readers will head over to your Pacific Island blog for a close encounter of the third kind. Now know what kind of camera I should aim for!