Lush and The Body Shop have numerous shops all around Japan and both companies have campaigns to educate people about animal testing. Lush writes in detail about the issue in the recent issue of their free magazine, which is available at stores. They note that the 25 member countries in the European Union banned animal testing for cosmetic ingredients in March earlier this year and that there is no reason for Japan not to follow. Certainly, they do not intend to use animal-tested ingredients in Japan.
KohGenDo is a Japanese cosmetics brand with a clear policy against animal testing:
We believe that animals shouldn't have to sacrifice their lives for our pursuit of beauty. It is time to end this sad chapter in cosmetics history.
Demonstrations against animal testing have been held recently, with a fairly large one took place in Shibuya on March 8, 2009, sponsored by JAVA and others, with over 100 participants, mostly dressed in pink!
Photos from the Shibuya event here and here.
A Peace Walk for Animals demonstration will be held on September 27, 2009 in Osaka.
Major anti-vivisection NGOs in Japan:
Animal Rights Center Japan
Stop Animal Test! Campaign
Lush is one of the sponsors behind ARCJ. On the website, people are encouraged to send letters (in Japanese) to other cosmetics companies like Shiseido, Kanebo, and L'Oreal to urge them to also stop animal-tested ingredients.
Now, JAVA is taking this campaign to other countries as well. Shiseido is the target, and you can sign the petition (in English). For more details go to this website with links and information on what you can do.
SAVE THE ANIMALS FROM SHISEIDO
Shiseido still killing animals for cosmetics
in spite of EU BAN
Our group, JAVA, has been seeking the abolition of animal experiments in Japan.
As animal testing for cosmetics has been banned in EU since March 11, 2009, we took this opportunity to launch a campaign to seek the abolition of animal testing for cosmetics, targeting SHISEIDO, the largest cosmetic company in Japan. However, the company still refuses to stop animal testing despite our repeated cry against animal experiments.
To our surprise, SHISEIDO continues marketing their cosmetic products in EU without hesitation even after the EU ban on import and sales of cosmetics tested on animals.
WE NEED YOUR HELP in pursuit of a day when SHISEIDO stops animal testing and no animal testing is conducted in Japan or anywhere else in the world.
Blogs I Like
- Ad B: Japan Navigator
- Amy: Blue Lotus
- Boing Boing: Wonderful Things
- Brendan: UNU OurWorld 2.0
- Hiroko & Rick: Itadakimasu
- Jared B: Tokyo Green Space
- Joan: Popcorn Homestead
- John T: Temple Valley Times
- Jon: Toshogu or As I See Japan... From L.A.
- Justin B: The Rational Pessimist (Climate & Risk)
- Kat: Food Adventures in Japan
- Ken: adams guild in rural Aichi and Nagano
- MTC: Shisaku
- Mari: Watashi to Tokyo
- Otakimura: In The Pines
- P: Pacific Islander
- Peko Peko: Kyoto Foodie
- Richard H: Spike Japan
- Risa & Kirk: Savory Japan
- Robert: Pure Land Mountain
- Shizuoka Gourmet
- Ten Thousand Things
- Tom: Kitchen Garden in Japan
Links I Like
- News: About Sweden in English
- News: BBC
- News: Der Spiegel (Germany) in English
- News: Deutche Welle
- News: FT Asia (UK, EU)
- News: Japan Agri News
- News: Kyoto Journal (Japan)
- News: NHK World Society & Others (Japan)
- News: People's Daily (China)
- News: Telegraph (UK)
- News: The Local (Sweden)
- News: Yomiuri Online (Japan)
- News: Yonhap (Korea)
- NGOs/News: Organic Consumers Association (US)
- NGOs: Amnesty
- NGOs: Consumers Union (US) Food
- NGOs: Consumers Union of Japan
- NGOs: Greenpeace
- NGOs: Greenz.jp
- NGOs: Japan for Sustainability
- NGOs: Japan Organic Agriculture Association
- NGOs: Japan Vegetarian Society
- Shops: Alishan Organic Center
- Shops: Eco to Waza (GreenJapan)
- Shops: Warabe Mura
- Stuff: Japan Probe