Where is the butter?

My supermarket has run out of butter and when I asked, the clerk explained that suppliers just cannot keep up with orders. Japanese butter is mostly made in Hokkaido with domestic milk. The shortage is a reminder that food supplies depend on a number of factors, including higher feed costs for dairy cows - Japan imports most of its animal feed.

I should mention that I like Japanese butter, it is a very pure product and it tastes much better than other spreads. I avoid margarin, a highly processed product that can never replace butter.

Having said that, I wonder why peanuts in Japan are allowed to be called "Butter Pea" (バタピー or "batapii") even though most brands are not made with butter, but use hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated fats and oils, known to contain unhealthy transfats. Some Japanese potato chips makers also get away with similar fraudulent claims. Yuk.

Comments

Pandabonium said…
Interesting. A farmer in the USA switches to growing corn and soy for ethanol resulting in higher feed costs and even shortages for dairies in Japan, which leads to no butter in the local market. Lucky that \ in this case it is just a luxury item and not your main meal.

I avoid milk products entirely, but agree with you that butter is far less unhealthy than margarine.

Haven't used either in years and don't miss it. Most of our eating habits after all are just that - habits.

But food availability is becoming a huge issue now, which I'm sure will be featured in coming posts.
Martin J Frid said…
Sigh... I like to fry my organic eggs in real butter...
steveb said…
I munched on some just last night for a pre-train ride snack. My guess is that the peanuts taste "buttery" thanks to all the natural fat.

FWIW, I also completely avoid all dairy products and margarine.
vegetablej said…
Most margarine in Japan, well maybe all, is made with hydrogenated "trans" fat. Therefore it's bad. I used to use a good olive oil as a substitute. The taste of eggs fried in a good extra virgin olive oil is sublime.

About the peanut butter, if you can't get the organic stuff from Tengu, or don't want to because of the distance it travels, make your own. If you have a blender or food processor all you do is put about a cup of peanuts in with some peanut oil, enough to start the process. When it gets as smooth as you like it, stop. You can add a little sea salt if the peanuts are not salted. That's it, tasty and fresh. If the oil separates out, just stir it up before you use it. Make it in small batches since there are no preservatives. Enjoy. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa