Friday, July 22, 2011
I don't think we know what it means, money. We confuse it with currency, exchange rates, gold standards, silver, platinium, salary, loans, fiat currency or just paper money.
What is money? We should ask, if we do, wouldn't it be the biggest threat to the central bankers, the IMF...
If I made carrots the "Carrot Standard" of world economy, we could all get on with growing carrots. If you were very good at growing really tasty carrots, you could be super wealthy.
You would be the Carrot King or PM: "Sir Carrot Emperor, Rule Supreme!" "Lord Carrot, Esquire!"
Funny how that is not an option.
We tend to think in terms of wealth more in terms of gossip, rumours, FX rates, heritage, and more or less binding legal tenders. So, what is the option?
What is a 1,000 Yen legal tender note realy worth?
In Waseda, since 2004, they have local Atom community money, perhaps that is a solution? It is also spreading to Sendai and other parts of Japan.
Except you would not be able to go on long holidays to exotic destinations, or get loans to buy fancy imported cars. Local money implies trust. It implies boundaries between "far away" and local. Is this the solution for Greece and other coutries that can't make ends meet?
Blogs I Like
- Ad B: Japan Navigator
- Adventures of a (Swedish) Salariman in Tokyo
- Amy: Blue Lotus
- Boing Boing: Wonderful Things
- Brendan: UNU OurWorld 2.0
- Hiroko & Rick: Itadakimasu
- Jared B: Tokyo Green Space
- Joan: Popcorn Homestead
- Jon: Toshogu or As I See Japan... From L.A.
- Justin B: The Rational Pessimist (Climate & Risk)
- Kat: Food Adventures in Japan
- Ken: KenElwood in semi-rural Japan
- Mari: Watashi to Tokyo
- MTC: Shisaku
- Otakimura: In The Pines
- P: Pacific Islander
- Peko Peko: Kyoto Foodie
- Richard H: Spike Japan
- Risa & Kirk: Savory Japan
- Robert: Pure Land Mountain
- Shizuoka Gourmet
- Ten Thousand Things
- Tom: Kitchen Garden in Japan
Links I Like
- News: About Sweden in English
- News: BBC
- News: Der Spiegel (Germany) in English
- News: Deutche Welle
- News: FT Asia (UK, EU)
- News: Kyoto Journal (Japan)
- News: NHK World Society & Others (Japan)
- News: People's Daily (China)
- News: Telegraph (UK)
- News: The Local (Sweden)
- News: Yomiuri Online (Japan)
- News: Yonhap (Korea)
- NGOs/News: Organic Consumers Association (US)
- NGOs: Amnesty
- NGOs: Consumers Union (US) Food
- NGOs: Consumers Union of Japan
- NGOs: Greenpeace
- NGOs: Greenz.jp
- NGOs: Japan for Sustainability
- NGOs: Japan Organic Agriculture Association
- NGOs: Japan Vegetarian Society
- Shops: Alishan Organic Center
- Shops: Eco to Waza (GreenJapan)
- Shops: Warabe Mura
- Stuff: Japan Probe