Hospitals In Okayama


When I lived in Okayama, I had to spend time with the old retired Zen priest, as he was slowly dying. I had to go to about three different hospitals, and stay with him, and fortunately, the staff and the nurses and doctors were superb, just first class, so amazingly helpful and supportive. I will never forget. I had to sleep on the floor, next to the boiler, and if anything was wrong, in the middle of the night, do whatever had to be done. In such emergencies, a smile or a helpful bow, or just a kind word from the nurses means a lot.

I had similar experiences back in Sweden, but this was in Japan. When I pressed the emergency buzzer, as the old retired priest was moaning, and I had no idea what to do: the nurses and everyone were just amazing. At the 3 hospitals where I had to deal with this, 24 hours on duty, in Okayama, all of them were just so terrific. I really want to go back and say thank you to everyone.

Dealing with death, as people around you are dying, how do you face your own death. We are all mortal. We all try to avoid it. Deal with it, and try to live honestly while knowing that you are also mortal.

Comments

Martin,
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal." - Old saying
It is wonderful that you helped your friend. It is wonderful that you shared with us a moment of that time in the hospital. We weren't there to help you with that at the time, but we are here with you now to feel that pain.... And to envy you and your friendship.
Martin J Frid said…
Thanks for the comments!

Now, you have a very interesting Buddhist blog...

Mike, that is a great quote, I'll remember it.
Pandabonium said…
Having been once on the edge of life and death my feeling is that the mindfulness of those around us is priceless. Equally important for the patient is one's own understanding - we need to prepare ourselves, for all of us will face illness and death as a part of life.

A friend and mentor of mine wrote an interesting article about working as a Buddhist minister in hospitals in Hawaii and Japan which sheds some light on this topic. Readers can find it here:
One Dies as One Lives by Rev Mari Sengoku.

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa