Wednesday, August 12, 2009
South Korea, Japan Think Global Warming Is A Serious Problem
In the latest edition of the Pew Global Attitudes Survey, which states that Brazil and Argentina are the countries in which people are most aware of global warming as a threat, South Korea and Japan also score very high.
The survey was carried out in 25 countries, including the United States and China. When asked the question, "Is global warming a serious problem?" 90% of Brazilians and 69% of Argentineans said yes, while only 44% of Americans or Russians chose the affirmative answer.
More on the survey (from page 87):
Pew Global Attitudes Survey (PDF)
Are Japanese people less concerned about climate change, at least compared to 2007, when 78% worried about global warming?
There is a lot more to ponder: In this survey, 64% of the Japanese agreed with the statement, "Protect environment even if it slows growth and costs jobs."
68% would "Pay higher prices to address global climate change" in Japan, compared to 41% in the US and 53% in the UK and 54% in Germany.
I wish they would include at least one Scandinavian country in their survey.
For this study, they called 700 households in Japan, from May 20-June 10, 2009.
Blogs I Like
- Ad B: Japan Navigator
- Amy: Blue Lotus
- Andrew: Wild in Japan
- Boing Boing: Wonderful Things
- Brendan: UNU OurWorld 2.0
- Chaobang's Travels
- Hiroko & Rick: Itadakimasu
- Jared B: Tokyo Green Space
- Joan: Japan Farmers Markets
- John T: Temple Valley Times
- Jon: Toshogu or As I See Japan... From L.A.
- Justin B: The Rational Pessimist (Climate & Risk)
- Kat: Food Adventures in Japan
- Ken: adams guild in rural Aichi and Nagano
- MTC: Shisaku
- Mari: Watashi to Tokyo
- Otakimura: In The Pines
- P: Pacific Islander
- Peko Peko: Kyoto Foodie
- Richard H: Spike Japan
- Risa & Kirk: Savory Japan
- Robert: Pure Land Mountain
- Shizuoka Gourmet
- Ten Thousand Things
- Tom: Kitchen Garden in Japan
Links I Like
- NGOs: Amnesty
- NGOs: Consumers Union (US) Food
- NGOs: Consumers Union of Japan
- NGOs: Greenpeace
- NGOs: Greenz.jp
- NGOs: Japan Organic Agriculture Association
- NGOs: Japan Vegetarian Society
- NGOs: Japan for Sustainability
- NGOs: Organic Consumers Association (US)
- News: About Sweden in English
- News: BBC
- News: Der Spiegel (Germany) in English
- News: Deutche Welle
- News: Japan Agri News
- News: Kyoto Journal (Japan)
- News: Mainichi
- News: NHK World Society & Others (Japan)
- News: People's Daily (China)
- News: The Local (Sweden)
- News: Yonhap (Korea)
- Shops: Alishan Organic Center
- Shops: Eco to Waza (GreenJapan)
- Shops: Warabe Mura
- Stuff: Japan Probe