My team here in south Saitama, Urawa Reds, won J League 3-2 in a great game against Gamba this weekend. Saitama's World Cup Stadium (Tom, remember?) is about 10 minutes from my apartment. It was full of fans, and my supermarket couldn't play the "Urawa Reds" song enough...
Here is a nice video of the awards ceremony
More cheering in Urawa City!
Here is what Yomiuri has to say today: Reds capture 1st J.League title
For the longest time, Urawa Reds have been known as the J.League's club with the best supporters. Now, they can be known as the best club, period.
Reds won the 2006 J.League championship on Saturday afternoon with a 3-2 victory over Gamba Osaka, capturing their first title in 14 seasons before a league record turnout of 62,241 at Saitama Stadium.
Urawa finished the campaign with 72 points from 34 games, five points ahead of runnerup Kawasaki Frontale, who beat Cerezo Osaka 3-1 Saturday to nail a berth in next year's Asian Champions League.
Reds, having climbed back from relegation seven years ago, became the sixth club to hoist the league's championship plate.
"Urawa Reds wa ichiban desu!" Urawa manager Guido Buchwald said to the crowd, after his team seized the top-of-the-table clash against Gamba, the 2005 champions.
The Reds were formed in 1951, as the club team of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Even back then, they were referred to by their fans as the "Red Diamonds" in reference to the red diamond trademark of Mitsubishi that they wore on their uniforms. The Reds were a dominant team in the JSL during the1970s and early 80s, when the team was coached by Kenzo Yokoyama, who would later serve as national team coach. Under his guidance the team won the Japan Soccer League championship four times, in 1969, 1973, 1978 and 1982.
(Source: Rising Sun News)
Blogs I Like
- Ad B: Japan Navigator
- Amy: Blue Lotus
- Boing Boing: Wonderful Things
- Brendan: UNU OurWorld 2.0
- Hiroko & Rick: Itadakimasu
- Jared B: Tokyo Green Space
- Joan: Popcorn Homestead
- John T: Temple Valley Times
- Jon: Toshogu or As I See Japan... From L.A.
- Justin B: The Rational Pessimist (Climate & Risk)
- Kat: Food Adventures in Japan
- Ken: adams guild in rural Aichi and Nagano
- MTC: Shisaku
- Mari: Watashi to Tokyo
- Otakimura: In The Pines
- P: Pacific Islander
- Peko Peko: Kyoto Foodie
- Richard H: Spike Japan
- Risa & Kirk: Savory Japan
- Robert: Pure Land Mountain
- Shizuoka Gourmet
- Ten Thousand Things
- Tom: Kitchen Garden in Japan
Links I Like
- News: About Sweden in English
- News: BBC
- News: Der Spiegel (Germany) in English
- News: Deutche Welle
- News: FT Asia (UK, EU)
- News: Japan Agri News
- News: Kyoto Journal (Japan)
- News: NHK World Society & Others (Japan)
- News: People's Daily (China)
- News: Telegraph (UK)
- News: The Local (Sweden)
- News: Yomiuri Online (Japan)
- News: Yonhap (Korea)
- NGOs/News: Organic Consumers Association (US)
- NGOs: Amnesty
- NGOs: Consumers Union (US) Food
- NGOs: Consumers Union of Japan
- NGOs: Greenpeace
- NGOs: Greenz.jp
- NGOs: Japan for Sustainability
- NGOs: Japan Organic Agriculture Association
- NGOs: Japan Vegetarian Society
- Shops: Alishan Organic Center
- Shops: Eco to Waza (GreenJapan)
- Shops: Warabe Mura
- Stuff: Japan Probe