Saturday, December 23, 2006
Have a green holiday
The Ecologist has some good advice for anyone trying to have a green holiday, including a Seasonal Survival Guide. They also have a seasonally-adjusted contemporary Pantomime, by Paul Kingsnorth, a fun take on Jack and the Beanstalk.
What I liked best was the recipe for Mulled wine, a drink we Swedes call Glögg - impossible to spell or pronounce in Japanese!
What you need:
1 bottle red wine
60g/2oz demerara sugar
1 orange, halved
1 dried bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
60ml/2fl oz sloe or damson gin
How to make:
1. Put the wine in a saucepan with the sugar, orange, bay leaf and spices.
2. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Add sugar to taste.
3. Take off heat and stir in the sloe or damson gin if you are using it.
4. Strain into heatproof glasses and serve immediately.
In Sweden we also add raisins and blanched almonds, and some people like it with slices of (organic) oranges too.
Och för alla mina svenska läsare runt om i världen kan jag inte låta bli att lägga en länk till Djungelns Pajas från svensk TV som jag hittat på YouTube. Omöjligt att begripa varför de valt att visa just den filmsnutten varenda julafton sedan 1970-talet... God helg!
Blogs I Like
- Ad B: Japan Navigator
- Adventures of a (Swedish) Salariman in Tokyo
- Amy: Blue Lotus
- Boing Boing: Wonderful Things
- Brendan: UNU OurWorld 2.0
- Hiroko & Rick: Itadakimasu
- Jared B: Tokyo Green Space
- Joan: Popcorn Homestead
- Jon: Toshogu or As I See Japan... From L.A.
- Justin B: The Rational Pessimist (Climate & Risk)
- Kat: Food Adventures in Japan
- Ken: KenElwood in semi-rural Japan
- Mari: Watashi to Tokyo
- MTC: Shisaku
- Otakimura: In The Pines
- P: Pacific Islander
- Peko Peko: Kyoto Foodie
- Richard H: Spike Japan
- Risa & Kirk: Savory Japan
- Robert: Pure Land Mountain
- Shizuoka Gourmet
- Ten Thousand Things
- Tom: Kitchen Garden in Japan
Links I Like
- News: About Sweden in English
- News: BBC
- News: Der Spiegel (Germany) in English
- News: Deutche Welle
- News: FT Asia (UK, EU)
- News: Kyoto Journal (Japan)
- News: NHK World Society & Others (Japan)
- News: People's Daily (China)
- News: Telegraph (UK)
- News: The Local (Sweden)
- News: Yomiuri Online (Japan)
- News: Yonhap (Korea)
- NGOs/News: Organic Consumers Association (US)
- NGOs: Amnesty
- NGOs: Consumers Union (US) Food
- NGOs: Consumers Union of Japan
- NGOs: Greenpeace
- NGOs: Greenz.jp
- NGOs: Japan for Sustainability
- NGOs: Japan Organic Agriculture Association
- NGOs: Japan Vegetarian Society
- Shops: Alishan Organic Center
- Shops: Eco to Waza (GreenJapan)
- Shops: Warabe Mura
- Stuff: Japan Probe