Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Revitalize, Relax, Spa!
The Japanese onsen industry is experiencing a boom, attributed to a rising Japanese consumer interest in health and the widescale retirement of the Baby Boomer generation in Japan – defined as those born after WW2.
The president of Spa Finder Japan, Yoriko Soma said to World Leisure Jobs & News: "I expect the Japanese spa industry to grow significantly in the next three years, particularly in the hotel and resort spa category. Already, we are getting news every week of day spas opening in Tokyo, Osaka and Kobe. There is lots of interest in reaching out to these consumers."
According to Soma, the number of Japanese tourists visiting spa resorts in Asia and Hawaii is also on the rise.
New style spas offer more attractions, not just the hot tubs we all have learnt to love. A 2003 study found that 60% of Japanese people had visited a spa in the last 12 months, compared to 21% of Americans. This represents 76.4 million spa-goers in Japan. So, who does not go to a spa?
Spa-goers disagree with the statements "Real men don't go to spas" and "I feel out of place in a spa." Non-spa goers are uncomfortable with a male spa employee treating them, feel out of place, and also believe that real men don't go to spas.
Source: International Spa Organization and World Leisure Jobs & News (great name to have on your meishi!)
Blogs I Like
- Ad B: Japan Navigator
- Adventures of a (Swedish) Salariman in Tokyo
- Amy: Blue Lotus
- Boing Boing: Wonderful Things
- Brendan: UNU OurWorld 2.0
- Hiroko & Rick: Itadakimasu
- Jared B: Tokyo Green Space
- Joan: Popcorn Homestead
- Jon: Toshogu or As I See Japan... From L.A.
- Justin B: The Rational Pessimist (Climate & Risk)
- Kat: Food Adventures in Japan
- Ken: KenElwood in semi-rural Japan
- Mari: Watashi to Tokyo
- MTC: Shisaku
- Otakimura: In The Pines
- P: Pacific Islander
- Peko Peko: Kyoto Foodie
- Richard H: Spike Japan
- Risa & Kirk: Savory Japan
- Robert: Pure Land Mountain
- Shizuoka Gourmet
- Ten Thousand Things
- Tom: Kitchen Garden in Japan
Links I Like
- News: About Sweden in English
- News: BBC
- News: Der Spiegel (Germany) in English
- News: Deutche Welle
- News: FT Asia (UK, EU)
- News: Kyoto Journal (Japan)
- News: NHK World Society & Others (Japan)
- News: People's Daily (China)
- News: Telegraph (UK)
- News: The Local (Sweden)
- News: Yomiuri Online (Japan)
- News: Yonhap (Korea)
- NGOs/News: Organic Consumers Association (US)
- NGOs: Amnesty
- NGOs: Consumers Union (US) Food
- NGOs: Consumers Union of Japan
- NGOs: Greenpeace
- NGOs: Greenz.jp
- NGOs: Japan for Sustainability
- NGOs: Japan Organic Agriculture Association
- NGOs: Japan Vegetarian Society
- Shops: Alishan Organic Center
- Shops: Eco to Waza (GreenJapan)
- Shops: Warabe Mura
- Stuff: Japan Probe