Nordic Modernism at Opera City, Tokyo



Scandinavian objects from the 1950s and 1960s are on display at the Opera City Art Gallery in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Nordic designers tend to take environmental considerations into concern. For me, these things are both familiar and nostalgic, having grown up with the Tetra Pak milk cartoons and Marimekko curtains (that my mother loved).

Nordic Modernism

3 November (Saturday) 2007 - 14 January (Monday) 2008 Tokyo Opera City Art Gallery
Open hours: 11:00 - 19:00
(to 20:00 on Fridays and Saturdays, entry up to 30 minutes before closing)
Closed on Mondays (except December 24 and January 14), 29 December - January 3
Admission: Adult 1,000 (800) yen, University and High School Students 800 (600) yen, Junior High and Elementary School Students 600 (400) yen

Some of these chairs and lamps that my grandparents took for granted are now very expensive collectors' items...

Comments

vegetablej said…
I like Scandinavian design. The lines are clean and beautiful and always so functional. In fact the "form follows function" aesthetic is maybe the best one for me. I guess the artichoke lamp is more elaborate, but still beautiful. Wish I were close enough to go to the exhibit.

I wonder if the picture on the far left is indeed a plywood sculpture? It looks more like glass bottles.
Pandabonium said…
My parents were into "Danish modern" furnishings in the 50's and 60's. I liked it too. Clean lines and natural wood grains with a "form follows function" design premise.
Martin J Frid said…
Wow, you guys know more than I do about this topic. Thanks!

V, I think you are correct, that photo doesn't match the description at all.

If you have any old stuff like that back home in an attic, it might be worth some money.

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa