NHK Songs: A Thousand Winds & Jupiter

A Thousand Winds

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.



Video with Akikawa Masafumi & Hirahara Ayaka. A Thousand Winds seems to be based on an old Navaho poem. I also love the Japanese lyrics to Jupiter, which inspired a lot of people after the Niigata earthquake. Makes me want to pray. Enjoy.

Comments

K and S said…
I love these two songs too.
Pandabonium said…
I enjoyed hearing A Thousand Winds sung by soprano Kazuko Matsumoto with the Kashima Philharmonic Orchestra last summer. I have also enjoyed playing and listening to Gustav Holst's music (Jupiter) for most of my life. This video is wonderful. Thank you for posting it.

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa