"Utter Tragedy"

Here is an opportunity to watch, listen or read Democracy Now's interview with Hans Blix, former Chief UN Weapons Inspector. He also discusses Iran, Israel, and the oil crisis.

AMY GOODMAN: And your assessment of the war in Iraq today and what it has done?

HANS BLIX: I think it’s an utter tragedy that—what has happened. The US and others expected it would be a short warfare. They expected to find weapons of mass destruction. And it has now gone on for many years, and Iraq is still not at rest. So I think it shows that the military solution was an erroneous one.

Comments

Pandabonium said…
Dr. Blix gives the neocons too much credit for honesty. I suspect he really knows that WMD were not expected but merely a pretext for a war that they had planned for years in advance.
Martin J Frid said…
I am sure he really knows. Hmm, from what part of the interview do you get the imporession that he "gives the neocons too much credit for honesty."

If you read the transcript, I think you may see how carefully he expresses his anger. A true diplomat caught in an impossible situation.
Pandabonium said…
Well, he says "The US and others expected it would be a short warfare. They expected to find weapons of mass destruction." Did they? I don't think so. I don't think Blix really thought so. At least I hope he was not so naive.

He also says Scott Ritter was too aggressive in his comments. Sorry, but we Americans don't mince words. Perhaps if Blix were less a "diplomat" and spoke more plainly like Ritter, the world would have known that the Bush admin was LYING and would have resisted military action. Ritter was a Marine. He knew the consequences of military action - not as some abstract principal, but in blood and tears, and spoke to prevent it.

In these times, the world no longer has the luxury of dancing. We need straight talk to stop aggression before it starts. Just my humble (hehe) opinion.
Martin J Frid said…
I think he is 80 years old, so he has nothing to dear. I agree he should speak up on Iran, since he failed to do so before Iraq was invaded.
Martin J Frid said…
Oh dear... "he has nothing to fear".
Pandabonium said…
I never make mistrakes.

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa