School Lunch: What's Your Story!


Over at Treehugger, I mention school lunches in Japan, Korea, France, and Sweden. I also introduce a new book: Eat This, Not That For Kids

This book, recently published in the United States, is helping parents re-think the school lunch box.

David Zinczenko, editor-in-chief of Men's Health magazine, and Matt Goulding wrote the Eat This, Not That For Kids as a reference for parents. Chapter 5 covers eating at schools, which means the school cafeteria. Vending machines choices are also included because most schools (unfortunately) have them. In some parts of the U.S. there are great initiatives to provide organic, healthy school lunches, but we clearly have a long way to go. In Japan, local foods are a big trend. How about your area? Comments please!

Australia Ten News:

Comments

sleepytako said…
I'm eating my Nishinomiya-shi school lunch right now. Always great, other than the squid, I just don't like squid too much. One thing to note, the bread cannot have preservatives in it so it must be freshly baked.
Martin J Frid said…
Thanks for the comment David, I was also never much of a squid kid.

Bread without preservatives? That's terrific, I had no idea, sounds very good.
Tom O said…
Hey, ya gotta have heard of the Calamari Kid! Runs rings round people..

Ika - the closest to chewing a rubber band one can get.
vegetablej said…
This amazes me because I saw very little obesity in Japanese kids, especially in the country where they walked or biked to school every day. I wonder what the statistics are?

Anyway, it's nice to hear the lunches are healthy. And in general, I'd say all prepared food is fresher in Japan than North America.

Most elementary schools where I live don't have cafeterias; the kids go home for lunch or bring one from home. It would be a big treat to have a cooked lunch like these lucky kids.
Martin J Frid said…
VJ, obesity rates in Japan have gone up from about 6% to 10% of the kids in the past few years. How does that compare to where you are at?

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa