FM Yokohama Interview: Green Oasis


I like radio, and today I had a chance to talk about my book with the good people over at FM Sounds, a studio that produces content for FM Yokohama and other stations.

If you have been reading Kurashi, you know that I am concerned about Japan's food security and issues like peak oil. At the same time, my book is very positive. I am doing some radio spots recently, and everyone in the production teams seem to pick up on my concerns. Do avoid GMOs, do try to find organic foods, care about food mileage, the fewer additives the better.

Today, Mitsumi asked about Japanese food, and what I think about the low food self-sufficiency level, which is about 40%. She also noted that for rice, Japan is 100% self-sufficient. I think that's great, and I look forward to the harvest this fall!

We talked about soybeans. Japan imports some 95% of soy, but most of it goes to animal feed. If you care about tofu, miso and natto, you already look at the labels, and buy the 国産 (kokusan) stuff, which are domestically produced. In the current economic climate, isn't locally produced, locally consumed much more preferable? Here, it is called 地産地消 (chisan-chishou). Mitsumi also asked me about farmers markets. Yes, the foods we get from the supermarkets are basically safe, but... How about antenna shops, or other local ways to get involved in your town's farming? If you can find a farmers market near your town, don't they have much better foods, plus they know about it, and can give you advice about cooking, and how to keep it, and convey that special feeling?

This interview will be aired in the Yokohama area on Sunday September 20 at 7:35AM

Update: I found Mitsumi's blog and discovered she is from Hiroshima prefecture and has blood type "B". She studied music therapy in the US and likes mountain climbing in the Japanese Alps. And, if that is not genki enough for all of you, how about her ”Sun will Shine” motto?! I should also add that you can hear FM Yokohama on 84.7 and previous Green Oasis shows featured music by Mika (Blame it on the Girl) and Beck (Sexx Laws). I hope Sunday's show has music by Cardigans or other Swedish bands!

Comments

Barbro Kalla said…
I wish you all the best! / Barbro
Tom O said…
Real work. Back on radio in Japan, par for the course!
Martin J Frid said…
Thanks for the comments, and the encouragement!

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa