Disaster awareness


On September 1 and 2 this year there were a number of disaster prevention events all over Japan. I took some photos with my poor little mobile phone, you get the picture.






Read more in The Japan Times: Japan engages in disaster-preparedness drills

The main area of the drill was in Izu, Shizuoka Prefecture.

The various exercises included one to evacuate tourists and another to secure the safety of employees of the Shizuoka Prefectural Government based on an urgent quake alert system of the Meteorological Agency, which will begin providing information to the general public in October.

Aside from the disaster drill, a separate drill was held simultaneously around the Hamaoka plant, which set up an emergency task force of the nuclear safety agency in the area and held an urgent information relaying drill under the assumption that there was a fire at the plant.


I wrote about the risks related to the Hamaoka nuclear plants here and here, when I was still working with Japan Offspring Fund. We explained how to manage if a big earthquake hits the Hamaoka nuclear plants in the JOF magazine, Safety of our foods and life, issue 196 (Aug. 2005).


(That boy was having a great time!)

Comments

Pandabonium said…
My SO (K) almost went to that drill in order to learn how to translate during emergencies, but had to cancel.

Glad to know that they're practicing.
Martin J Frid said…
She might want to talk to the City Hall people about that, I'm sure they can need some assistance.

I'm pretty good at directing cars, just give me a big red stick and a wistle (although here you are supposed to shout "A-raigt, a-raigt...")
Pandabonium said…
Martin said, "I'm pretty good at directing cars, just give me a big red stick and a wistle"

Now, THAT I'd like to see! :^)

Popular posts from this blog

Global Article 9 Conference to Abolish War

マーティンの鵜の目鷹の目 -世界の消費者運動の旅から

Salvador Dali, Hiroshima and Okinawa